The New Zealand Cider Festival is back for its second year in New Zealand’s Cider capital, Nelson. It will be held on 4 November at Founders Heritage Park, to coincide with the NZ Cider Awards (held on the 3rd). Described by National Geographic as “heaven for Cider seekers”, Nelson produces 60% of the country’s Cider due to its high concentration of cideries.
With an exciting line up of entertainment, celebrity speakers and kids’ activities planned, it is set to be a highlight on many calendars. Cider popularity has doubled in the last 5 years with over 1 in 4 consumers now including Cider in their shopping – but there are still over 1/3 of New Zealanders who have never tried Cider! The NZ Cider Festival offers the opportunity to try a huge range of Ciders created by Cider makers from all over NZ in one handy and very scenic central location.
With a selection of top NZ Cider makers already on board, including Gold Sponsor Old Mout Cider, locals The Sprig and Fern Brewery and recent winners of ‘The World’s Best Cider’; Zeffer Cider Co, event goers are in for a treat. The Festival is a celebration of all things Cider and an event for the whole family!
Currently our confirmed Cider Makers are: Old Mout Cider, Zeffer Cider Co, Peckham’s Cider, The Mussel Inn, Three Wise Birds, Rochdale & Saxton by McCashins, Sprig & Fern Forbidden Cider, Scoundrels and Rogues, Paynter’s Cider and Tutu Cider.
We are proud to announce Old Mout Cider as our Gold Sponsor and returning as the glass sponsor is O-I Glass. There are still opportunities for sponsorship for organisations keen to support this great NZ event.
“It was absolutely fabulous. It threw such a wide range of cider makers together in the one place and gave a voice to the smaller players. It was really great for the cider makers to be able to network through the day. The other great thing about the Cider Festival was that it was purely focused on cider and everyone is there for the cider. It was really well organised and attended. The weather was poor but everyone was buzzing. It was a huge success so the second one can only be better.” – Caroline Peckham, of Peckham’s Cider.
Speakers at The New Zealand Cider Festival
- There will be an exciting range of talks and demonstrations from industry leaders:
- Jody Scott from Zeffer Cider Co will be talking about their Cider Journey
- Back by popular demand – Nick Widley from the Cod and Lobster Brasserie will be demonstrating how to make cider cocktails
- Caroline Peckham from local cidery Peckham’s Cider will talk about how to make your own cider
- Kevin Hopgood from Hopgoods Restaurant will be creating mouth-watering food pairings for the 2017 award winning ciders using local artisan fare
- Yvonne Lorkin, renowned NZ Wine and Beverages Writer will be hosting an audience with the winners of the 2017 NZ Cider Awards and what made them best in their class.